Stay Connected, Get Involved
Volunteers have been a vital part of Iolani Palace for over 50 years, providing services that are invaluable to our day-to-day operations. During the COVID-19 pandemic, we are relying on volunteers to assist in the different positions at Iolani Palace and Hale Koa (Palace Barracks). The heartfelt dedication and efforts of our volunteers play a critical role in preserving and perpetuating the Palace for future generations as we continue to thrive.
Positions & Duties
Greeter – Ambassador of Aloha
Everyone wants to experience Hawaii’s Aloha Spirit. Greeters work at Hale Koa and the Palace Lanai/Steps to welcome and direct guests and answer questions. They always show visitors the true meaning of Aloha – the same care and kindness one gives to friends and family.
Guardian – Steward
Guardians or stewards look after guests and ensure that guests are taking care of the Palace and its artifacts during their tour. Guardians are also gracious hosts or hostesses throughout the Palace’s stately halls, exuding hospitality and Aloha with words, gestures, and expressions.
Palace Shop Kōkua
The Palace Shop Kōkua greets visitors in the gift shop, answers questions and offers product suggestions or recommendations to the best of their ability. The Palace Shop Kōkua serves as an ambassador of aloha and works in partnership with the shop staff to ensure a pleasant and memorable experience for all visitors.
Join Our Team
Want to volunteer? Fill out our application form!
As an active volunteer at Iolani Palace, you will have a number of benefits:
- Free parking in designated areas (a daily parking pass)
- Free admission to Iolani Palace
- Discount at the Palace and Gallery Shops
- Two Guest Passes per month (after 12 hours of service)
- Guardians/Greeters receives a one of kind blue Palace pin
- Docent receives a one of kind red Palace pin
- Enrichment opportunities
- Admission to museums and other attractions at a discount or no cost
- Invitation to volunteer parties and our Palace annual volunteer appreciation party.
- Commitment of at least 3 to 4 hours per week for a 3 to 6 month period
- Attendance at an orientation session
- Agreement to serve with kindness, compassion, humility, and aloha
Once a volunteer application is received, our team will review and process it. As part of this process, a background check of all applicants will be conducted by our Human Resources and Guest Services Department. This is for the safety of our guests, staff, volunteers, and Palace collections. Once the background check has cleared, the Director of Guest Services will contact the applicant to discuss volunteer interests and the best fit for a specific position at Iolani Palace. Volunteers will then receive the Volunteer Handbook and their Iolani Palace name badge.