An eight-foot-high coral block wall with wooden gates originally enclosed the Palace area. Following the Wilcox Rebellion in 1889, it was lowered to 3'6". In 1892, the present painted iron fence was installed.
Each of the four principle gates display the Coat of Arms of the Hawaiian Kingdom, and have a distinctive name and purpose:
- Kauikeaouli (King Street) - In honor of King Kamehameha III and used for ceremonial occasions
- Kinau (Richards Street) - Named after the mother of Kings Kamehameha IV and Kamehameha V and used by tradesmen
- Hakaleleponi (Capitol Mall) - Named for Queen Kalama, consort of Kamehameha III, and used by staff and retainers of the royal household
- Likelike (Diamond Head) - The name of Princess Likelike, sister to King Kalakaua and Queen Liliuokalani, and reserved for private use by the royal family