E Na Haumana, Aloha Mai
Students are welcome to visit and gain a deeper understanding of the Hawaiian monarchy and the rich cultural significance of Iolani Palace.
School tours are offered on Tuesday and Thursday and should be scheduled at least four weeks prior to the desired tour date. Please contact us online at firstname.lastname@example.org or at (808) 522-0832 to arrange a tour.
When booking a school tour, please have the following information ready:
- Preferred tour date and times
- Number of students and teachers/chaperones/adults
- Grade level
- Name of Contact Person
- School/Address/Phone/Fax/Email address
- Notification of any special needs or assistance required, so accommodations can be made
- Basement Galleries Only: K-3rd grade
- Abbrreviated Tour (1st Floor State Rooms & Basement Galleries): 4-6th grade
- Abbreviated Tour + Imprisonment Room: 7-8th grade
- Full Guided-Tour (1st Floor State Rooms, 2nd Floor Private Rooms, & Basement Galleries): 9-12th grade
Preparing For Your Visit
Hookupu: recognizing that gift-giving is an integral part of Hawaiian culture, the presentation of hookupu by students is welcomed. Mele (song), oli (chant), or puolo (a gift bundled in leaves) can be prepared prior to your visit and given at the mauka entrance of the Palace immediately before the start of your tour.
On The Day Of Your Visit
Identification: students, teachers, and chaperones are required to wear name tags while on tour.
Vehicular Access: vehicular access to Iolani Palace grounds is limited to 15-passenger vehicles or smaller. If traveling in a larger vehicle (ie: school bus), students can be dropped off in front of the YWCA on Richards Street or in front of the State Capitol on Beretania Street.
Upon Arrival: please check in 30 minutes prior to your scheduled tour time. Tickets must be picked up at the Palace Basement Gallery and all over-sized bags and backpacks (15" W x 15" H x 6") must be secured in the storage space provided. Questions can be directed to the cashier.
Palace Shops: students are welcome to visit the Palace shops, however, we ask that they be escorted by an adult chaperone or teacher.